On August 28, 2022, powerlifter Julia Mills set the All-Time UK Record for Women at 612.5 kilograms (1,350.3 pounds) in the Raw With Wraps division. Mills achieved this record at the 2022 Irish Pro Invitational, where she took home the overall win for the women. The contest took place at the Southside Barbell Gym in Limerick, Ireland.
At the time of this writing, Mills’ competitive body weight was unclear. Based on her weight from her most recent contest at the British Powerlifting Union (BPU) British Powerlifting Championships in early July, Mills may have competed in the 82.5-kilogram weight class.
Here’s a rundown of Mills’ top stats from the Irish Pro Invitational:
Julia Mills | 2022 Irish Pro Invitational
- Squat — 240 kilograms (529.1 pounds)
- Bench Press — 145 kilograms (319.7 pounds)
- Deadlift — 227.5 kilograms (501.5 pounds)
- Total — 612.5 kilograms (1,350.3 pounds) — All-Time UK Women’s Record
In the caption of Mills’ Instagram post, where she shares her performance, Mills expressed gratitude towards Shane Brodie — the organizer of the Irish Pro Invitational — workers who helped during the event, her other peers, and noted a special point about equality between the men’s and women’s athletes.
“Brilliant atmosphere, huge thanks to [Shane Brodie] for running such a fabulous event,” Mills wrote. “A huge step forward for women’s strength sports that the women’s prize money equaled the male prize. Just amazing to see.”
Note: At the time of this article’s publication, it is unclear what the prize money was for the 2022 Irish Pro Invitational.
Mills at a Glance
Mills has been powerlifting competitively since her November 2018 debut during the BPU North East Qualifiers. According to Open Powerlifting, the athlete has never lost a powerlifting competition and has now won 10 straight contests.
Here’s an overview of Mills’ entire powerlifting career to date:
Julia Mills | Complete Powerlifting Career Results
- 2018 BPU North East Qualifiers (Wraps) — First place
- 2019 BPU British Championship at BodyPower (Wraps) — First place
- 2019 BPU NorthEast Qualifier (Wraps) — First place
- 2019 World Powerlifter Congress (WPC) World Championships (Wraps) — First place
- 2020 Global Powerlifting Committee (GPC) Great Britain Tattooed and Strong (Raw) — First place
- 2020 GPC European Championships (Wraps) — First place
- 2021 BPU British Championships (Wraps) — First place
- 2022 GPC-Great Britain Tattooed and Strong (Raw) — First place
- 2022 BPU British Powerlifting Championships (Multi) — First place
- 2022 Irish Pro Invitational (Raw w/wraps) — First place
Per her social media, the next item on Mills’ competitive agenda is the 2022 Official Strongman Games. She received her invitation after successfully making it through the online qualifiers. That contest will occur on November 11-13 in Daytona Beach, FL. It will be Mills’ third strongwoman appearance after participating in the 2021 UK’s Strongest Woman and the 2019 Master’s World’s Strongest Woman, according to Strongman Archives.
From an Axle Press to a Circus Dumbbell, Mills can expect a challenging set of events in Daytona Beach. However, if she can start to transfer some of her powerlifter success to strongwoman, Mills might soon become one of the most versatile and accomplished women’s strength sports athletes.
Featured image: @juliamillsstrengthcoach on Instagram